Click here to see what athletes say about our results
YOUR PERSONAL STRATEGIC THERAPEUTIC PROGRAM
Altered States of Science offers year round support to athletes, specializing in the needs of cyclists and tri-athletes. Whether you are a serious or casual athlete, Altered States will design a strategy to enhance the performance, longevity and the enjoyment of your sport.
WHAT WILL SPORTS MASSAGE DO FOR MY ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE?
• Increase performance
• Speed recovery/reduce soreness
• Assist your rehabilitation after an injury
• Promote proper alignment of the muscle tissue, thereby increasing muscle efficiency.
• Help prevent injury
• Extend the length of your athletic career
HOW IS SPORTS MASSAGE DIFFERENT FROM ANY OTHER KIND OF MASSAGE?
1) The goal of general massage is to relieve pain and tension and restore the muscles back to a balanced, pain free state. The goal of Sports Massage is to increase athletic performance level.
2) General massage is for the health and wholeness of anyone. Sports
Massage is specifically for those with trained muscles, and will focus
on fine-tuning for maximum performance.
HOW DOES SPORTS MASSAGE FIT INTO MY ATHLETIC TRAINING?
At Altered States of Science we specialize in massages that help athletes reach their potential. Our strategies are designed to work for all stages of your activity: pre-event, post-event and during the off season.
Pre-event "wing installation"
This thirty-minute massage is designed for endurance athletes who wish to increase their performance. Key techniques prepare your muscles to tap into all the nutrients and oxygen they need to keep fatigue at bay.
This massage was named by an Altered States client who said
“After one of these pre-event massages, I felt like my legs had wings in my bike race.”
$50/half hour (pre-event only, by specific arrangement) Contact Cynthia to book this massage.
Post-event “getting back in the saddle”
Using sports massage techniques, this therapy will flush out toxins and encourage the recovery of high-performance muscles. Athletes are back in working order in no time.
Off-Season “Systems Maintenance”
Maintenance is often the key to sports success. To ensure that you will be ready for your next activity, a personal strategy will be devised. Deep tissue is one therapy that will release the knots and patterns that inhibit your performance. Cynthia will also include periodic muscular/skeletal assessments to monitor progress and determine strategy.
In his book, 'The Science of Cycling', Edmund Burke produced a graph showing the amount of exertion required from the key muscles in each portion of the cyclist's stroke. This work was a graphic example of the fine-tuning of the muscles of a cyclist, as well as the danger of overuse and repetitive strain injuries.
Taking this into account, your Sports Massage from Altered States of Science will be tailored to your needs whether it performance enhancement, injury prevention or post-rehabilitation.
Altered States understands the specific needs of a cyclist vs. other sports. Your therapeutic strategy will be designed with you to maximize your performance and work towards giving you that '20% edge'.
As a tri-athlete your therapeutic needs are not merely a 'sum' of swimmer, cyclist, runner. There is a synergy between the three disciplines that produces a unique dynamic in your body. It is important that your therapeutic massage strategy be designed with all of the ways you use your different muscles in mind.
A few examples:
• Your shoulders and arms are those of a swimmer, but in distance cycling they are also stressed with impact and held in one position for long periods of time.
• Your thighs, gluteal muscles and psoas are worked one way against water resistance in swimming, then are called upon to contract differently in cycling, then again in running with the addition of impact.
• Your knees are required to repeat the same motion (sometimes under misalignment) in cycling then experience force and impact in running, often in a state of pain and near exhaustion.
Whether it be pre-event, post-event or maintenance, your massage at Altered States will be designed for your specific needs as a tri-athlete vs. other sports massage which is centering on the needs of only one discipline.